Thursday, July 9, 2015

2 Days, All I Need is a Good Cry

It's been a rough week.  I had a lot of emotions gurgling below the surface.  I knew it would be dangerous if I went into his wedding on Saturday unchecked. I needed a good cry.  For some reason, I hadn't cried.  This huge event was looming and I hadn't acknowledged the emotional magnitude.

When mentioning this to my son who would soon be marrying his best friend, he recommended I watch "Boyhood".  He thought this could be the catalyst for the much-needed release. We went to see it together last summer when I was dropping him off for college. Eerily, many events in the movie mirrored the events in his life and mine.

So, once my family went to bed, I watched it.  I made it through 2 1/2 hours without a tear.  Then, as the movie came to a close, the song Hero by Family of the Year came on.  That was it.  That's all it took.  The floodgates were flung open and the waves of emotion were unleashed.

I cried.  And, cried.  And, cried.


No comments: